Monday, August 12, 2013

Space Invaded?

So for our two readers, if you have been reading via the desktop browser site (rather than the mobile site) then you may have noticed that I have put a slideshow of all of the photos from the blog on that main page.  If you are astute (and I'm sure you are) you will also have noticed that there are more photos in the slideshow than have actually been posted.  That's because I tend to upload the photos at night after I've been out for a day, but don't actually feel like writing anything, or, frankly, have anything worth saying.  So, photos just float around there for you to guess what I might write about next. 

Can you guess?  Yep, Space Invaders!

During one of my weekend walks I stumbled upon the location (pictured below) of the space invader prison, or their next landing site, I can't be sure.  I suppose it could also be a toilet, but I waited for some time and never saw anyone exit from the single locked door on the east side.  If there is a space invaders game in the toilet, however, I might not have waited long enough.
 Not convinced?  Take a closer look at the mosaics on either side of the building.

I told you!  I figure with the 2-D nature of those little guys, and at the dimensions they appeared to be on my old 13" TV that I had my Atari 2600 hooked up to, that we could literally fit an infinite amount of space invaders there.  If my hunch is right then the Parisians are doing the world a service by keeping these petite extraterrestrial gremlins locked up.  Of course, the way the locals slurp up snails and munch on frogs, perhaps they have escaped and are controlling the local populace in a "body snatchers" sorta way.  If I don't come home and stop posting stupid little stories you may need to call in Galaga.  Not really sure what's going on here, but this place requires some persistent monitoring, like I said - it could just be a toilet.

At any rate, if all goes wrong and those invaders get out causing mayhem and destruction, at least there is a cool old hospital (St. Anoine's) right across the street (hidden behind the trees).


On the less sinister side, this old church is on the historic places list (though honestly, what isn't on that list in Paris) and right around the corner from my apt.   Best I can tell, this little church isn't really known for anything other than receiving more than 300 bodies (sans heads?) from the Bastille guillotine in one year, since it was one of the closer churches with a graveyard.  Now there is a nice little playground and flower garden in front.  I hope they moved the bodies first, though that might explain why the flowers grow so well.

I walked all over Paris this past week end so there are a few more pics but not much to say about 'em.  What's to say really when every time you turn around there is another historic place, monument, museum, memorial, etc.  Though I have to say, while it doesn't get boring you do start to become desensitized to the "oldness" of it all.  Anyway, here are some more pics:
Had to take the obligatory photo of Le Tour Eiffel as seen from Trocadero.  I have been here so many times that I probably wouldn't have come over this far west in town if I hadn't promised the kids a picture of the Eiffel tower.  I'm glad I did though.  It is always impressive to see up close no matter how many times you visit it.  With that said though, I literally walked out of the Metro station, took the picture, turned around and boarded the metro to my next destination.  When you see the crowds here (especially in Aug.) and have gone up and down several times, you don't really want to hang around.

Next is just another shot of Notre Dame from Le Rive Gauche (left bank).   If you've been to Paris and walked amongst the throngs of tourists in the old part of the Latin quarter you have been near here, but maybe never passed by.  This is one block past where most tourists tend to go, thus the empty street even on a Sat. afternoon.  To me this is Paris.  A grande cathedral, a quaint medieval street and some old - now preserved - crumbling buildings with some (unknown to me) historic significance.

Not really sure why I took the next picture (therein lies the danger of posting photos before writing about them) but it does show a typical street and architecture of Paris.  Nothing special (from a Paris point of view) but I do like all of the roof tops and facades of the buildings in the city.

This is the Place de la Nation that sits inside a giant round about and a top a big metro station.  I hadn't been out here before.  It was nice to see a different part of the city.

I saw this graffiti during one of my promenades through the arrondissements.  It reminded me of the NSA, snowden, wire tapping taxes stuff that's been in the news for months now.  That is definitely not lost on the Parisians.  It even came up in my French class today.  What can I say ... nothing, or atleast that's what I tend to say.  I have enough to worry about without involving the NSA.

Well that's it for now.  I'll let you know if I see any little pixelated creatures roaming my neighborhood.

A+

No comments:

Post a Comment